The primary objective of each school’s media center is to implement, enrich, and support the educational program of the school. The media center shall provide a wide range of educational media materials on all levels of difficulty, with a diversity of appeal, and the representation of different points of view.
The School Board asserts that the responsibility of the media center is to provide:
- Materials that will enrich and support the curriculum, taking into consideration the varied interest, abilities, and maturity levels of the students served.
- Materials that will stimulate growth in factual knowledge, literary appreciation, aesthetic values, and ethical standards.
- A background of information enabling students to make intelligent judgments in their daily life.
- Materials representative of the many religious, ethnic, and cultural groups and their contributions to the American heritage.
- A comprehensive collection appropriate for the maturity levels of the students served by the media center that places principle above personal opinion and reason above prejudice in the selection of materials of the highest quality.
Media Center Catalog
Search the web-based Destiny Catalog to access the Media Center resources available at each of our schools.
Media Services Parental Choice
The district understands parents and guardians play a major role in guiding their child’s reading and media center use. It is important that each family has the right to determine which library resources are acceptable for its children and that we afford that right to each family.
The district strives to provide appropriate educational, intellectual, and physical access to resources that provide for a wide range of abilities and differing points of view. This process in no way negates our responsibility to ensure that the materials that are in our media centers align to state statutes but provides families with additional choice around all available media materials.
To receive more information about the parental choice process, please submit the Media Parental Choice form.
Student Access Levels
Level One: Open Access
Level Two: Limited Access
Level Three: Pre-Approval
A parent/guardian will pre-approve all books before a student checks them out.
Reconsideration of Media Materials
Parents of a student or residents of the county may challenge non-adopted instructional materials used in classrooms, school library books, or books on reading lists. Please visit the Book Review page to learn more about the procedures for submitting a challenge, the book review process, and current requests for reconsideration.