School Board Spotlights: May 2023
The monthly School Board Business Meeting was held on Tuesday, May 16, 2023, at the Government Services Building.
The meeting began with a recognition and gifts to Student School Board Members Roymara Louissaint from FPCHS and Isabella Tietje from MHS. This was their last board meeting as student representatives.
The School Board started this month's meeting by reading a proclamation recognizing May as Mental Health Month. Brandy Williams, Coordinator of Counseling Services for Flagler Schools, and Taurean Wilson, a Licensed Mental Health Counselor with the district helped to present this proclamation and shared the role of our mental health team in our schools.
Next, during the spotlight portion, State Attorney RJ Larizza was on hand to present our District Crime Stoppers poster winners. High school winners (all from Flagler-Palm Coast High School) were: 3rd Place - Kylie Anderson, 11th grade; 2nd Place - Dominick Johnson, 12th grade; 1st Place - Annaberly Jean-Gilles, 10th grade. Middle School winners were: 3rd Place - Allessandra Caballero, 8th grade, BTMS; 2nd Place - Manaia West, 8th grade, ITMS; 1st Place- Juan Russell, 8th grade, BTMS.
The School Board then recognized our Future Problem Solvers teams who competed in States as well as those students moving on to the International competition.
Finally, the Flagler Playhouse Penguin Project promoted their upcoming production. The Penguin Project is for students and youth with disabilities and will be the stars of a musical production, matched with a peer mentor to support them on the stage
The School Board took action on the following:
- Approved a revised 2022–23 FCEA Instructional Salary Schedule. This schedule was approved back in February, but after a review by the Florida Department of Education, FDOE requested a change based on the interpretation of the Florida Statute. The updated salary schedule reflects an increase in the beginning base salary amount as a result of a recalculation.
- Appointed 11 people to the Half-Cent for Flagler Schools Citizen Oversight Committee. This committee will review the expenditure of the sales tax proceeds and report to the public annually.
- Approved a Comprehensive Evidence-based Reading Plan for the district. Florida State Rule 6A-6.053 requires districts to develop and implement a Comprehensive Evidence-based Reading Plan. The purpose of this plan is to increase literacy achievement in Flagler Schools.
- Approved the awarding of a contract with Ben E. Keith Company to provide food and grocery distribution services. The company will be responsible for purchasing, receiving, storing, distributing, reporting, and tracking food service-related items for use in schools operated by Flagler Schools. This is a 3-year contract with an option to renew for two additional one-year periods.
Approved the awarding of a contract with FCC Environmental Services, LLC for solid waste disposal, recycling, and roll-off services. They will be responsible for all labor, supervision, personnel, equipment, vehicles, fuel expense, and all other items necessary for the weekly pickup of solid waste and recycling products throughout the district, as well as roll-off containers for both solid waste and construction, as needed.
- Instructed staff to maintain operations as is at the Belle Terre Swim & Racquet Club.
- Gave permission to post the draft of the 2023–24 Student Code of Conduct for 30 days for public review and input. The Codes of Student Conduct are brought forward annually for updates and/or revisions that include any statutory changes and input from stakeholders.
- Approved a contract with H.A. Contracting for the Matanzas High School addition and renovations. They will be responsible for all applicable permitting, labor, materials, equipment, tools, transportation, services, and incidentals necessary to complete all work required, including the construction of a new two-story, 20,000 square foot classroom addition, new pre-engineered metal building to support physical education programs, construction of a new central energy plant with air cooled chillers and underground chilled water site distribution with ice storage, and 3,200 square foot renovation to the existing building to provide additional dining capacity in the cafeteria.
- Approved the addition to the 2023–24 Employee Benefits Package to include Prudent Rx as a pharmacy program.
- Agreed to a Professional Services Agreement with the Florida School Boards Association to render professional services in connection with assisting the School Board in its search for a new Superintendent.
- Agreed to have Assistant Superintendent LaShakia Moore perform the duties of interim Superintendent.
Board Calendar: View the School Board Calendar for information about upcoming Board Meetings.
Meeting Videos: Watch School Board meeting recordings on the Flagler Schools Video website.
Meeting Minutes: Read School Board meeting minutes on BoardDocs after they are approved at the following month's meeting.