Elevating Excellence Award: February
Our February "Elevating Excellence Award" winner has been a stabilizing force on the Bunnell Elementary School campus while helping scores of children.
Yolanda Boone is a Speech Language Therapist who joined Bunnell Elementary this past fall.
Ms. Boone is very committed to her students because she knows exactly what they are going through. She is a person who stutters and uses her experiences to connect with the kids sitting across the desk from her.
In nominating Mrs. Boone for this month’s award, Dr. Kimberli Halliday, Director of Exceptional Student Education in Flagler Schools, writes, “Mrs. Boone built trust with our students, teachers, and most importantly, our families. She’s built systems at BES that will support all incoming SLPs (Speech-Language Pathologists). Mrs. Boone elevates excellence every day by ensuring our students with speech/language needs make progress, regardless of what it takes for them to achieve it.”
Flagler Schools Superintendent Cathy Mittelstadt surprised Mrs. Boone Wednesday to thank her for making such great strides in such a short amount of time. “You have a story to share with these children. That allows you to make a connection with them that many others may not be able to do. The work you do with them will make them remember you for the rest of their lives.”
Flagler County Education Foundation Director Teresa Rizzo was also on hand to support this monthly honor.
The following is a list of the other nominees who have gone above and beyond to impact our students and district best.
We want to congratulate all the nominees for the February Elevating Excellence Award:
- Lynn Mellow, Office Specialist; Plant Services
- Jen Gimbel, Office Specialist; Teaching and Learning
- Lina Chhay, Food Service Worker; Matanzas High School
- Fran Knutson, 3rd Grade Teacher; Old Kings Elementary School
- Kathy Meffort, Coordinating Custodian; Flagler-Palm Coast High School
- Joann Rosario, School Bus Driver; Transportation
- Phyllis Linck, Guidance Counselor; Indian Trails Middle School
- Bedie Barnes, Information Specialist; iFlagler Virtual School
- Nicole Puritis, Principal Secretary; Wadsworth Elementary School
- Amy McCall, Website Content Manager; Technology
- Teresa Sorrentino, IS Support Specialist; Buddy Taylor Middle School
- Barbara Diaz, Title I Academic Interventionist; Buddy Taylor Middle School
- Sharell Arneaud, Licensed Clinical Social Worker; Student Services
- Melissa Cullings, ESE Teacher; Matanzas High School
- Charity Palacios, English Teacher; Flagler-Palm Coast High School
- Ashley Kriesen, 3rd Grade Teacher; Rymfire Elementary School
- Liz Snow, Benefits Specialist; Human Resources