In 2002, the citizens of Flagler County approved a half-cent sales tax referendum to benefit Flagler Schools. Everyone who buys taxable goods in Flagler County, including visitors and residents, pays this sales tax. It amounts to ½ cent for every $1 spent and is only collected on the first $5,000 of any purchase.
Revenue from the half-cent sales tax benefits students and enhances the educational experience by providing funding for instructional technology, safety, and security. It has allowed the district to purchase computers or iPads for every student, expand wireless access, and make remote learning possible during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Flagler Schools has placed the renewal of the half-cent sales tax on the November 8, 2022 ballot. This referendum is for a renewal, not a tax increase. Voters will have the opportunity to once again prove that Flagler County supports investing in a quality school system.
Quality schools are essential to the health and economic stability of our community. A positive vote for the half-cent sales tax will continue the improvements seen over the past twenty years.
We thank the Flagler Community for their continued support of the half-cent sales tax for Flagler Schools. Because of you, our students have an exceptional educational advantage and are prepared for a bright future!
Please visit our Let's Talk page to submit any questions or concerns about the upcoming half-cent sales tax renewal.
Improvements made possible by the half-cent sales tax
- Instructional Technology: Teachers can utilize classroom technology to enhance instruction in the classroom.
- Safety and Security: Safety and security has increased on all of our buses and campuses.
- Smart Collaborative Classrooms: Classrooms, labs, and collaborative learning spaces have been created to support our classroom-to-careers programs.
- Student 1:1 Devices: All students have access to a dedicated device to use for learning.
- Network Infrastructure: All classrooms have wireless access and the robust infrastructure needed to support digital learning.
- Operational Efficiency: Energy-saving initiatives have been established, including HVAC and energy management. These initiatives allow us to keep our transportation fleet updated with energy-efficient buses.
- Advancement Opportunities: Students are empowered to take advantage of accelerated learning opportunities such as dual enrollment, online courses, and certificate programs.